Emerging Scholars Program Application – Part II – Spring 2019
The Emerging Scholars Program provides a $500 stipend for full-time students (enrolled for 12 or more credits) and a $250 stipend for part-time students (enrolled in 11 or fewer credits) for conducting research with a faculty member. The purpose of the program is to provide students with an opportunity to apply what was learned in the class room to discover new knowledge, to solve real-world problems and to develop professionally while working with faculty to advance scholarly endeavors. The program includes specially designed workshops for students offered by the Honors Scholars and other programs and participation in a biannual poster session. If there is a student that you would like to work with, please provide them with this information and encourage them to apply. This is an opportunity to advance your scholarship while providing valuable experience to a promising student. All participating faculty receive a certificate of appreciation.
Deadline: Friday, February 22nd, 2019
Part I can be found at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/EmergingScholars
Part II of the application is attached and includes: (1) PREA (Pre-Research Experience Application), (2) CUNYfirst Expense Reimbursement form, (3) W-9.
(1) PREA – Must be completed electronically and signed by both the student and faculty mentor.
(2) CUNYfirst Expense Reimbursement form – Students should clearly write their name, CUNYfirst ID, address, telephone number, City Tech email address and sign the form.
(3) W-9 – Students should complete parts I and II and sign in part III- DO NOT INCLUDE THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON THE W9 FORM.
(4) An unofficial copy of the student’s transcript, including spring 2019 registration.
- Students must attend the mandatory orientation meeting on Tuesday, February 26, 2019, from 1:00-2:00 PM (Location TBD).
- All students must complete the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) online training and submit their Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) certificate by March 21, 2019. More information on CITI training can be found at: https://www.citiprogram.org/
- First-time undergraduate researchers must attend the four Group I workshops. Returning researchers must complete four workshops from Group II. See attached ESP Application Part II for list of spring 2019 workshops or visit: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/research/esp-crsp.aspx.
- In collaboration with the faculty mentor, students should prepare a final abstract summarizing the project and accomplishments. Mentors should proofread, edit, and the student should upload it by Thursday, April 11, 2019 at a Dropbox link provided in the attached Part II of the application. Additionally, students should prepare their poster including final results for the May poster session. The poster file must be uploaded to a Dropbox link by Thursday, April 18, 2019. Signing the consent form indicates permission to publish abstracts and posters on the college website.
- Students must also participate in the Honors and Research Scholars poster session on Wednesday and Thursday, May 1st and 2nd, 2019.
Please ensure that these materials are submitted by Friday, February 22, 2019 deadline. Please see attached Part II of application for more details and guideline.
If multiple students are involved on a single project, then their expected individual contributions should be distinguished on each of the Pre-Research Applications.
Thank you for willingness to be a research mentor and considering this opportunity for our students.