Today, Fulbright is the most widely recognized and prestigious international exchange program in the world, supported for more than half a century by the American people through an annual appropriation from the U.S. Congress and by the people of partner nations. The program—working with universities, schools, binational Fulbright commissions, government agencies, nongovernmental organizations and the private sector—actively seeks out individuals of achievement and potential who represent the full diversity of their respective societies and selects nominees through open, merit-based competitions. From its inception, the Fulbright Program has fostered bilateral relationships in which other countries and governments work with the U.S. to set joint priorities and shape the program to meet shared needs. The world has been transformed in ensuing decades, but the fundamental principles of international partnership and mutual understanding remain at the core of the Fulbright Program’s mission.
In September 1945, the freshman senator from Arkansas, J.William Fulbright, introduced a bill in the U.S. Congress that called for the use of proceeds from the sales of surplus war property to fund the “promotion of international goodwill through the exchange of students in the fields of education, culture and science.” One year later President Harry S. Truman signed the bill into law, and the young senator’s vision of replacing swords with plowshares found its expression.
The primary source of funding for the Fulbright Program is an annual appropriation by the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State. Participating governments and host institutions, corporations and foundations in foreign countries and in the United States also provide direct and indirect support.
The Congressional appropriation for the Fulbright Program in fiscal year 2010 was $253.8 million. Foreign governments, through binational commissions or foundations abroad, contributed approximately $68.5 million directly to the Program in fiscal year 2009.