- This event has passed.
Living Lab General Education Seminar: Application Spring 2017
November 28, 2016 @ 5:00 pm
Submission Deadline: 5:00 pm, Monday, November 28, 2016
If you are interested in becoming part of the growing multi-disciplinary community at City Tech that is energetically thinking about and developing general education, pedagogy, and student engagement in their teaching and learning practices, please consider this opportunity. As a Living Lab General Education Seminar Participant, you will explore, implement, and assess a variety of teaching practices proven to engage students using ethical reasoning as our main focus.
At City Tech we define the student learning outcome of “Ethical Reasoning” in the following manner:
- Transform information into knowledge, and knowledge into judgment and action.
- Assume responsibility for social justice
A list of City Tech’s General Education learning goals can be found here: https://facultycommons.citytech.cuny.edu/index.php/gen-ed/
Among the questions seminar participants consider are:
- What changes can we make to the student experience that will prepare our students to succeed at City Tech, while also supporting creative, original, and critical thinking through the use of high-impact educational practices?
- How can we use City Tech’s OpenLab, an open-source digital platform, to customize learning experiences for our students that will engage them in the intellectual fabric of our College and make their achievements visible to our own community and to the wider public?
- How can we use one of City Tech’s greatest assets — its location within the “living laboratory” of the downtown Brooklyn waterfront — to create hands-on, place-based learning opportunities with our students?
- How do we know our students are achieving the student learning outcomes of our course?
Participants will take part in five workshops during the Spring 2017 semester that focus on General Education and the following: George Kuh’s (AAC&U’s) High-impact Educational Practices, assessment, open pedagogy on City Tech’s OpenLab, our open digital platform for teaching and learning, and place-based learning.
Participants will be inspired and supported by other full-time faculty members who are interested in sharing their own innovative teaching practices.
To apply, please complete the application form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSemxXc33gGyYiisg5RAgNFoNL3KAROlBUz-O_1w0K4ocmIcCg/viewform
For additional information, please contact Living Lab General Education Seminar Director, Karen Goodlad, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Faculty Commons Director, Julia Jordan, at email@example.com.