Save the Date! Learn all about Creating Accessible Media, Web and Technology
September 22, 2019 @ 11:15 am - 2:45 pm
2019 Accessing Higher Ground: Accessible Media, Web and Technology Virtual Conference
About the Virtual Conference
The 2019 Accessing Higher Ground: Accessible Media, Web and Technology Virtual Conference will be live streamed at 4 CUNY schools this year from November 20th-22nd.
You may drop in for all or any of the many interesting sessions; attending the full conference is not required. Even though you may attend only the sessions you want, an RSVP form is forthcoming so that we know how many people to expect at each viewing. For now, just save the above dates on your calendar.
This virtual conference is open to all members of the CUNY community, including faculty, staff and students. The conference is most relevant for those who work in Disability Services, IT, graphic design, marketing, library, instructional design, as well as faculty and students who are interested in learning more about this subject and applying what they learn on their campuses or towards future careers.
Sample topics and programs from previous years include:
- Web, PDF, Microsoft Office, LMS and CMS accessibility
- Legal requirements and how to meet them
- Technical standards, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, etc.
- Adaptive technology
- STEM accessibility
- A Strategy for Inclusive Accessibility Testing for Novices and Experts
- Not so Fast! Implementing Accessibility Reviews in a University’s IT Software Review Process
The virtual conference program will be announced on the conference website, usually at the end of September. We will send that out when available.
Dates and Times:
You are welcome to drop in any time; attending the full conference is not required. RSVP to reserve your spot is forthcoming.
- Wed Nov 20: 10am-6:30PM EST
- Thurs Nov 21: 10am-7PM EST
- Fri Nov 22: 11:15am-2:45PM EST
(Note: If you look at the conference website, you will see times are listed in Mountain Time there)
Locations to view Virtual Conference*:
College of Staten Island
- Video Conference Room, 1L-220A and Ancillary Conference Room, 1L-218E
- Here are Directions and Parking if needed.
- Take the library’s main elevator or staircase to the second floor. From the elevator, turn left and then bear right towards the 2nd floor group study rooms. From the stairs, turn right and proceed ahead to the group study rooms. You will see signs for both rooms on the right-hand side.
CUNY School of Professional Studies
119 W.31st Street
New York, NY 100014th Floor, Room 414 & 416
Turn left at the elevator bank and you will find the classrooms at the end of the hall on the right
Kingsborough Community College
2001 Oriental Blvd
Academic Village rooms, V202 and V219
- Take the elevator to the second floor, make a left, room V219 is the first door on the left.
- For room V202 make a left off the elevator, then a right, V202 will be the second door on the left after you pass the stair case.
*Sorry, due to the agreement with the conference producers, remote access at other locations is not available. Access to high quality recording of the conference will be available approximately 2 months after the conference for a limited number of individuals, generally including those who attend in person.
The conference has captioning. Most handouts and PowerPoints are posted on the conference website and can be accessed before the sessions. Contact information for additional accessibility needs will be forthcoming.
- This event was made possible by a collaboration between CUNY IT Accessibility Task Force, the CUNY LD Project, College of Staten Island Department of the Library with support from CSI Media Services and CSI Center for Student Accessibility, Hunter College Library, Kingsborough Community College’s Office of Information Technology Services, Library Services and Access-Ability Services, Lehman College and The School of Professional Studies.